Thursday, November 3, 2011

Dentist

Last week, I scheduled a visit to the dentist. Nothing much - just the usual cleaning, x-rays etc.

When I got in the room the tech asked if I had been given any pre-meds. I didn't know what she was talking about. She explained that since I am on chemo (and, more importantly, have a port) I need special preparation. At the minimum, a pre-visit dose of antibiotics.

For teeth cleaning?? Yes, since they are poking around my gums, it's considered "invasive". Who knew??

It never occurred to me to ask the doctor if it was OK to get my teeth cleaned. Would it occur to you?

So last week I got the x-rays and everything done except the actual cleaning. I was given a prescription for antibiotics and instructions to take 4 an hour before I came back in.

Oh, and I was also supposed to tell the doctor and get his permission to have the cleaning done.

So when I got there today and proudly announced I had remembered my medicine, and she asked "did the doctor give you the all clear?", of course I had forgotten to even mention it. Or if I did mention it, I forgot the answer. I have no clue which, it could really go either way.

All was well - she called and spoke to the chemo nurse, who laughed and said "tell that crazy lady..." something I don't remember the rest of. I know who said it, and she didn't mean anything by it, so I'm not offended.

The bottom line is my teeth are now clean, and that's the important thing, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment