Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Cancer Rainbow

Did you know that each type of cancer has its own ribbon color? I didn't. In fact, that's one thing that had started to bother me before I was even diagnosed. My parents had prostate, colon and ovarian cancers. Where was their ribbon? Where was their awareness? Where was their cool fire truck, their fund raiser? I had begun to hate pink before I even knew it would ever affect me.

In my Google research I did find out that there are different colors for different cancers. here is a chart:

So for Dad, we have light and dark blue. For Mom, we have teal.



Here is one that isn't on the list. An internet acquaintance is affected by carcinoid cancer, or I would not have known about their ribbon.



Notice the ribbon for uterine cancer is peach? Peach was the color of the original breast cancer ribbon. The woman who made it refused to let the "big guys" use it, fearing that they would misuse it, so they changed it to pink. Isn't that ironic? Here is an article about the history of the pink ribbon. (LINK)

Awareness ribbons have been around for awhile. This is an interesting bit about their history from Wikipedia (LINK) It seems that everything has a ribbon now; it's the "in thing". There are only so many colors in the rainbow, so some are used for different things, as seen here (LINK). This could get pretty confusing! Thank goodness pink only has ONE meaning! *eyeroll*

I would like to end with this. I thought it was pretty cool! Please click the link to see pictures and read the story. (LINK) I'm sure he's right about the reason they chose thyroid cancer, but I was so happy to see something besides pink. :)


Stupid Pink of the Day: 









No comments:

Post a Comment