Monday, October 29, 2012

Taking Back October

Earlier this month I was startled by the news that the word "Pinktober" has actually been trademarked! I had not heard of this before this year, but upon further research I found it was trademarked in 2008.  I was unable to find out when and by whom the word was invented. I had assumed the word started out as a way for us to MOCK what "Breast Cancer Awareness" has become, because that was how I had heard it used until now. At any rate - "Pinktober" is not cute. Breast cancer, and/or its awareness, is not cute. It is not a holiday. It is not something to celebrate or a reason to party.





I would like to have October back. I would like its colors to be the typical fall colors.  I would love to have research and awareness and donations, but I would like to think we can achieve that without "celebrating".

*****************************************

Stupid Pink of the Day:



No comments:

Post a Comment