Sunday, October 21, 2012

Interrupting the Pink for an Update

Note: writing about all the pink crap makes me physically ill - nauseated and weak.

It's been awhile since I've had an update. Things are moving along, I suppose. I am working on getting back into shape and I think that's going well. I work out in the pool several times a week and walk each day. I don't walk much yet, but I have increased it. I got a part-time job at my gym. I work in the child care, and it's been really fun so far, although I have had a nasty cold all weekend. (It's funny that I made it through a year of white-count-lowering treatments without getting sick even once, but a week with a bunch of little kids has knocked me out!) I am sleeping much better at night- that is, I had been, until a couple of nights ago.

I am having problems with my left arm again. It isn't any more swollen than it ever was (it's been bigger than the other the whole time). I guess it must be a very tiny bit bigger because my lymphedema sleeve is now too tight. I put it on the other day and after a few minutes was practically crying in pain. So I need to figure out where to get a new one. I did discover they are available in stores which are way cheaper than the one from the PT, but the problem is I need size XXL and so far have not found one in that size.

There is a PT department at my gym. I am going to find out if they can deal with lymphedema. I can't afford to go in several times a week like I used to. Our old insurance covered it under major medical, but Humana charges a copay of $55 per visit, even though it is treatment and not a doctor visit. But it would be helpful if I can stop in after work and learn the exercises, and then stop in on an as-needed basis.

My arm hurts a lot now. It's worse at night. I've looked up some information and found that really I was told NOTHING about protecting my arm. I am not supposed to sleep on that side. Guess what - that's the side I like to sleep on! Unfortunately, once I am asleep I can't force myself to not roll onto that side. So I wake up in excruciating pain from laying on the left side. It feels like it's asleep - pins and needles - but with pain added. It takes a long time for it to "wake  up" again and for the pain to dissipate. So after a few nights of good sleep, I am back to waking up every few.

So I need to learn the exercises again, I need a sleeve that fits, and I need to figure out how to sleep without ending up hurting myself more. I wonder if they make a sleeve I can sleep in? Normally I am only supposed to wear it for an hour at a time or while on an airplane.

When I work out in the pool, I do a lot of work with my arms. I have not read anything that says that's bad for the lymphedema side, but I think I probably injured myself and that's why it's worse. it feels like I pulled something. The neuropathy is back in my thumb, and I have a wart on my thumb (popped up where I had stabbed myself with a thorn, because I had not been told to wear heavy gloves for gardening) that won't heal.

In other news, I have been given permission to have my port removed. I wasn't in any hurry but I just learned that our insurance year is actually over on Oct. 31, so now I would like to do it before then. I just have to coordinate my work schedule and the surgeon says it's a one day thing with no down time. In fact I recall that I had it put in and started chemo the next day!

So that's about it for now, all the tests I've done lately look good and there is no reason to think anything bad will be happening. Still I can't shake the feeling of impending doom. Such is the life of a cancer "survivor", I guess.

My friend posted this on Facebook,and I like it because Not pink+includes all cancers+pushes research = I can approve this message. 




Stupid Pink of the Day:

"When life hands you lemons, make pink lemonade". Huh.


No comments:

Post a Comment