Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Bad reaction

Today I had an allergic reaction to the Taxol. It's not uncommon; in fact, they start you out with a dose of Benadryl. Then you sleep through the rest of it, LOL! I have had 2 doses of it before today. First time, no reaction. Last week I did react but they thought it was from my cold, said it didn't "fit" the normal reaction. They gave me more Benadryl, slowed down the pump and it was fine. Today it happened exactly the same only worse. As soon as the pump started first I saw lots of spots before my eyes like things swimming. Then my face POOF got really hot. Then it was hard to breathe. All within seconds. I didn't have a bell on my table to I asked the lady next to me to ring her bell. She was confused of course but did ring it and meanwhile I shouted for the nurse. She ran right over with a bag of benadryl and unhooked the Taxol. The doctor and several other nurses ran over and the doctor was telling them to grab an epipen and stuff. They didn't have to use that though because the Benadryl did the trick. They told me my face was beet red. My BP went way up to 188 over whatever. Within a couple of minutes it was back to normal though. It got better almost as fast as it got worse. But let me tell you it was SCARY!!! And I felt really sorry for the new patient next to us who had to watch it! She is freaked out enough just starting out. And we had been telling her how much easier it gets.

So now, I can't take any more taxol. it's too dangerous. There are other options and I have a Dr. appt on Thursday to discuss. The one he mentioned has more side effects. I was really excited to not have any!!

But I got home and started researching. I don't get on the message boards for this much because it's depressing to me. But they are a good source of info. So I typed "alternative to Taxol" in the search box and found one to ask about. They said there are NO side effects, it requires NO pre-meds (for Taxol I am on steroids, Benadryl, and Pepcid which take over an hour before I can start the chemo) and takes only 30 minutes to drip weekly! So I am thinking WHY would they not START me on something so magical?? Later someone said it is newer (though not NEW) and costs more so insurance doesn't like people to start on it, in fact won't pay for it, but that if you had a reaction to something else they will usually approve it. So I am definitely going to ask about it. I can't remember the name; I saved the page on my other computer, so I will post it here when I can get it.

So this week I essentially had LOTS of Benadryl, LOTS of steroids and a dose of Herceptin. And a scary time! I sure hope that doesn't happen again.

I was also talking to this new patient about the surgeries. Her son is an OB-GYN and he insisted she should get the complete hysterectomy, plus a double mastectomy even though it was only in one. So she did, and there was supposedly nothing in the other breast, but they tested it anyway and it WAS there, just not visible to the other tests yet! So now I am SURE I want to do the other one. Might as well, since they have to match it in reconstruction anyway. I told her my GYN was against the hysterectomy and she asked who I use? It's the same one she uses and he told her the same thing! I really think he is just old school (he is older). Back in those days they didn't think removing it would prevent it, it would just show up elsewhere. Now, they don't want you running around removing body parts for no reason but in my case it is definitely indicated. The oncologist said he would refer me to a GYN-oncologist. this lady saw him too and says he is great. So she had all her surgeries done before starting chemo. I am now wondering if I should put the rest of chemo on hold and do the surgeries first? I'll ask that on Thursday. Especially if there is a chance it's in the other breast already.


1 comment:

  1. You are smart to do your own research. I don't think any doctor tells you all your choices - just the ones they want you to know. Have to do your own research for everything now. Love the Internet!

    ReplyDelete