Friday, September 9, 2011

Abraxane

Abraxane - that's the one I looked up. It has no side effects, requires no pre-meds (NO STEROIDS!!!!!) and has a much lower infusion time. So where do I sign up?? LOL!

I mentioned it to my doctor today and we're going to go with it! He says it's actually the same drug as Taxol. The allergic reaction is due to the carrier for the drug. it doesn't dissolve in water so they have to use chemicals. The Abraxane carrier is much easier on the patient. Unfortunately it costs more for whatever reason. Insurance won't pay for it unless there is some reason to, such as having a reaction. So, I'm in! I'm actually excited. There is a tiny chance I reacted to the actual drug so they have to give a test dose. But no one ever reacts to the drug so I'm hopeful. And we don't have to start over with 12 weeks - will do 9 or 10 since I had 2 weeks of Taxol. So I'm still pretty close to the original schedule of being DONE by November.

He's referring me to an oncologist gynecologist. I am really torn on having surgery. Dr. C (regular gyn.) is against it. I am for it. Dr. Mc is for it. The other one will probably be for it too. I need to do more research.

No comments:

Post a Comment