Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Impressions

Seen in my FB feed today:


So I'm at the doctors office waiting room... People really do need to rethink there wardrobes .....hair... And shoes!!!
OMG!!!!



I've wondered what impression my physical appearance may give people. Let's see.

* wardrobe: Shorts and a T-shirt, most likely. Depending on which doctor's office it is, I may be wearing my husband's button-front shirt (with snaps for easy access) and no bra. Therefore I look like some deformed Franken-lady with one saggy boob. If I am feeling particularly dressy I may have on pants or a skirt. If I am wearing a bra, the left side is lumpy and misshapen due to the sock I have stuffed in so that small children don't comment. I used to be sure to choose a shirt that didn't make the lumpiness so obvious, but that doesn't bother me as much as it used to and frankly takes way too much thought and effort. I am a one-saggy-boobed woman, after all.

* Hair: Ever seen a boy's hair as it grows out from a buzz cut? it's shaggy and uneven. There's really no point in trying to trim it until it reaches a reasonable length. This is the Stage Most Likely to Attract Snide Comments from Teachers, Church Ladies and Grandmas. Well, that is the stage my hair is in. Only it's curly. Unreasonably curly. Pieces of it are not curly at all, while others are curling back into themselves. As you might imagine, this makes it look even shaggier than it otherwise would look. I have tried "doing something" with it, but it refuses to be tamed. There is nothing I can do other than to go with it, and wait for it to get long enough to be worth styling. Getting a style at this point would be impossible (or at least require larger amounts of gel than I am willing to use); getting a trim would just prolong the agony. Most days, I just run a brush though it and not care what anyone thinks. On particularly bad hair days, I go back to the trusty old bandanna.

*Shoes: Confession time - I hate shoes. The perfect life would allow barefootin' all the time. Since this is not allowed in real life I do own a few pairs of shoes.
1. comfy sneakers for when I have lots of walking to do.
2. Slip-on leather flats for church. They are getting a little bit worn, but I don't care. They are comfy and my wide feet are not used to that so when I find one that works, I wear it till it falls apart.
3. Crocs brand rubber sandals. They are like flip-flops but don't go between the toes. I can't stand having anything between my toes. They are also getting quite worn. The color is mostly rubbed off the part that goes across my foot, and the area just above the toes is still stained from that time I had to walk through the mud. I really should try to clean it, and I'm sure it would come off, but I only ever think about it when I am on my way somewhere, look down and say "oh hell, I forgot again".

So there you go, I did re-think it and I am satisfied with how I look for the time being, even if you are not.

Rather than spend so much time and anguish on the physical appearance of random strangers, might I suggest to this person that they look into the proper use of the various forms of the word "there"... just a (re) thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment