Monday, May 23, 2011

Port

Today I got a port put in. Funny, I've been telling people just that, and now some are saying "oh, that was surgery?" Don't worry, I didn't think of it as surgery myself!

It was outpatient and I was back home in 4 hours. As with the mastectomy, I astounded the nurses with my quick re-mastery of such things as urinating on my own. *wink* I got home and had some soup for lunch and took a little nap. When the time came for another pain pill I had waited a little too long and was hurting. I dutifully ate a snack and took the pill. But then I got so nauseated! I mean I was SICK. Ugh. I hate that more than anything. Since then I have been trying to move around some as directed but get nauseated again when I do more than just sit up in bed.

Hopefully I will be better tomorrow because I don't know about getting chemo when I feel like crap already! I am ready to start because the sooner I do, the sooner I can stop!

I missed a call from the finance manager at the doctor's office. She wants to go over my part of the bill, before we get started. Yay. I know that is going to hurt. I have been told there are resources for help and that I should apply immediately as they are not retroactive. Hopefully we can qualify. We have 6 kids to send to college and not even savings for that. I also got a call from the social worker, which I actually received because they called the home # instead of the cell. The entire family will be able to go talk to someone for free if they want/need. So at least that is something!

Emotionally I guess I am still pretty detached about this. Luckily I learned how to detach. I don't think it's the same as denial. It's just life and needs to be dealt with. "Being content in all circumstances" is what I am shooting for, although content doesn't really describe it right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment