Friday, March 30, 2012

This week

Nothing much to report. My hair is growing again. I have some curls in the back. It's so long around my ears that I have to put it behind my ears so it won't stick out. It's frizzy again this time around. I had hoped that would be gone, since I heard so many stories of hair growing in different. "at least you HAVE hair!" True - but I think I am allowed to comment on both positive and negative. Some people apparently don't think so. Maybe those people should stop asking questions if they don't want to hear the answers. ;)

My scalp is itching like crazy ever since the hair returned. I think I have dandruff. I've been using a special shampoo, but it isn't helping. Then last night the shampoo stung the hell out of me! I guess I'd been scratching a lot or something. Ouch! Also, my scalp HURTS. Like when the hair fell out. Especially in the place where the hair meets in the middle to grow all different ways, if that makes sense (I wouldn't know about that spot if I didn't lose my hair).

The color is pure salt and pepper. The pepper part seems to be black or very dark brown, not reddish brown like before. I haven't decided if I will ever color it again. I sort of like it for now.

Yesterday I ran into someone I hadn't seen in so long she didn't know about the cancer. She told me she loved my short hairdo! So I guess it might be looking almost normal now. At any rate, I have quit with the bandannas and hats. I just need to be careful in the sun - I got a burn on my neck the other day.

I am still having phantom pains but little enough that I do believe they are phantom. However, in my own mind I have decided that it's time for testing. I go see the doctor next week and I will be insisting on whatever kinds of tests they do to determine if there is an cancer anywhere in my body - be it scans, blood work, whatever. A question - if I get a PET scan again, will I still need other tests such as mammogram, ultrasound, colonoscopy, etc? Something to ask...at any rate, I don't think I will be able to fully relax until these tests are done.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Midnight, for lack of anything else to call you. I wanted to share that when my hair started growing back I too had a very itchy scalp. Not to mention a VERY itchy hooha...anywhere that hair was regrowing rapidly - it itched. I used straight olive oil on my scalp and it helped some but it did not relieve all the itch.

    My hair grew in very curly and white. Then it suddenly looked like I had thousands of little black heads on my scalp. With a magnifying mirror I determined this was new darker hair growing in. I first thought I had screwed up my scalp with too much olive oil.

    I scrolled through and I believe you had radiation as well. Radiation was worse for me that chemo all together. Because of the radiation too, (I'm very fair skinned) I have to use sunscreen 50+ and a sunhat to try and protect the area of my neck and clavicle that was radiation burned. So do make sure that you protect yourself from the sun. Although I find it a tad ironic that I'm to protect myself because what? It might give me cancer? lmbo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I am so happy to hear that someone else was itchy! That's one thing I did not find when I had my good friend Google check for me.

    I agree that radiation was MUCH worse! I feel lied to. I don't think I would have done it if I knew it would be that bad. The little spot by my neck is still so painful. It hurts down to the bone. It looks so bad I am going to have my husband take a picture of it. I just expected it to feel much better after 2-1/2 months. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete