Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Stuff

I was given the OK to "work out" a couple of weeks ago, taking it really easy since I am SO out of shape. I don't know if that's typical of chemo patients or not because I was really out of shape in the first place, but of course now it's much worse. As soon as he said I was allowed to exercise, AND go in the pool (not allowed during chemo because of infection potential) I jumped on it. We belong to a health club with an indoor pool. I like to do the water aerobics but I am in no way ready for that yet. I started out with a goal of just getting in the water, which I really enjoy and find very peaceful (a bonus!) and moving around somewhat for at least 15 minutes. On the first day it seemed like the 15 minutes crawled by so I stayed in for 15 more. I felt great afterwards! 30 min was my max because I don't want to overdo it, and in fact I did feel it the next day.

My plan now is to go in 3 or 4 days a week, skipping Tuesday because it's Herceptin day and I don't feel great after that. I go to the club right after radiation. I'm in my 3rd week now and have upped my max to 45 minutes. I really feel good and I think I'll try the class once radiation's over - the good thing about the class is you don't have to "keep up" per se. If I can't handle it I can just stand there with the rest and move.

Now the bad part is I lost one pound in the first week. I was really proud of myself but I got chewed out when they weighed me at radiation. Losing weight can mess up the whole mapping thing and cause issues with the treatment. I am only allowed to lose 10 pounds and they would really rather I stay stable. There is no way I am going to give up the swimming now that I finally got motivated to start, so that means I will put off the low carb diet till after. I am changing my eating habits pretty well and it's awfully ironic after all these years trying to lose that I'm trying to eat enough to keep the weight on!!

In other news I got a referral to a breast clinic in NO. It's supposed to be one of the best in the country, women come from all over to get their surgery done. They specialize in the DIEP flap reconstruction. They finally called me today and at first I was crushed to hear that they are not in network on my insurance. I told them there is really nothing more to talk about then and she said wait, we will run your benefits and see if we can work something out. I said if I have to pay anything more than the in network then I can't do it. She said they work it out often so let's just see.

Out of network pays 50% where in pays 80%, I believe, so I am really trying not to get my hopes up. I will have met my OOP max by then so they would pay 100% in network. I am not sure about out of network if OOP is met. It does make me wonder that she was so quick to say they would try to work it out. Is the economy that bad that they will take what they can get? Probably not, since they are the best and people will pay for the best. So I am trying not to get my hopes up. I was told about a very good doctor in the neighboring town that could do it. But then I also read that the one in NO is who everyone goes to whose surgery went wrong! Yikes.

I am still kind of torn on this whole thing. If I wasn't getting the other mastectomy I don't think I would get just reconstruction. I just can't justify elective surgery at this point. But I can't live with the other breast any longer than I actually have to, it's going to end up freaking me out.

I hope they can do it soon, because if they can't, I will probably wait till the end of summer. I have things I need to get done, and if there is no real rush I want to go on with my life.

I know I will have to start over on the getting into shape after surgery (and don't forget hysterectomy at some point!), but doing as much as I can now will hopefully make me heal faster once I do have it, plus get me into the habit, plus make me healthier for the future! I am really proud of myself. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment