Saturday, December 31, 2011

Cleaning for a Reason

http://www.cleaningforareason.org/

I'm putting this up there in case anyone reads this blog who would benefit from it, or if you know someone who does.

Sadly, I was not able to benefit from it. The information was given to me immediately after my diagnosis. I contacted them but they had a waiting list of over 6 months, which so happens to be the length of typical chemo treatment. Since you can only get it if you're undergoing chemo, it makes me wonder just WHO exactly IS benefiting from it? I was highly skeptical. Sorry, but that's how I felt at the time.

Anyway, I have since heard from a couple of people who were actually able to use the service. So please ignore my doubts. Just realize that it is NOT a given. I do wish the info sheet had mentioned that so I wouldn't get my hopes up, so I want to make it clear here.

I will say it would have been probably my favorite thing ever if I had gotten to use it. The state of my house really bummed me out. I was unwilling to force all the work (trust me, they do plenty of housework on a regular basis, even if their rooms may not be up to my (or your) standards!) onto my kids who were going through their own issues related to my health, along with all the stuff they had to handle in their own lives - they are very busy kids, and keep their grades up, and I just didn't want to do that to them. Sometimes you just have to lower your standards on certain things, so that'a exactly what happened. However, it still REALLY brought me down.

Then at the beginning of December, my son's friend's Mom told me she would like to send her own cleaning team over for a day, as a gift. YESSSSS!!! It was amazing!! Someday when I am able to work again the first expense I am going to make essential is a cleaning service, even if it's only sporadic. I can't begin to explain to you how wonderful it was to have a clean house, if only for a few days (the effects are long gone, now!). What a morale booster!

So if you know someone who is going through chemo - or any other kind of debilitating medical treatments - please consider offering to help them in this way. Whether it's referring them to a service like the one above, or helping out yourself, or donating the service (maybe a group of friends could pitch in?). It will be a HUGE blessing to them and I expect to you as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment