Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Shopping

It's going to be hard for me to shop this month.

It's breast cancer awareness month, and I think everyone knows what that means.

Before you read on - go do a self-check. That's how I found mine, and I want to do my part in making others aware. I never thought it could happen to me so I didn't do self checks. I only did it that day because I literally felt God was telling me to. I thought it would never apply to me, just like you probably think it doesn't apply to you.

****************************************************
Back to the topic....you know what that means....

That's right - stupid secret posts by the ladies on Facebook, the appearance of more objectifying statements like "save the ta-tas" and "squish a boob to save a life" (worn mostly, I guess, by people who want to look "hip" - breast cancer being the "hippest" of cancers to support after all - since every breast cancer patient I have talked to despises the statements. Think for just a minute how hurtful something like that sounds to someone who has lost one or two breasts, and are trying to convince themselves that it isn't important because we are not our breasts? ...yeah.), and of course the biggie - stores full of items adorned with pink ribbons.

Breast Cancer Awareness month is not put on by any one group. From their website:

The National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (NBCAM) organization is a partnership of national public service organizations, professional medical associations, and government agencies working together to promote breast cancer awareness, share information on the disease, and provide greater access to screening services.

They are not even about raising money. Wow, really! I would not have guessed that. I walked into Sam's Club and was instantly greeted by rows of products decorated with festive pink ribbons. The entire perimeter of the store was filled with these items. Buy an item and donate to breast cancer research. Sounds great, right? Well, remember who owns the pink ribbon. That is who will be benefitting from my buying that yogurt or pringles or whatever. Donate more money to Komen's sue-happy lawyers so they can knock down even more small organizations? No, thank you.

Then I went to buy some new walking shoes, as my physical therapist suggested. My feet are hard to fit, D width, and I need good arch support. Academy only has one brand that had the D width, so I was trying those on, but the support was not good enough. I worked my way up the price ladder until I reached the last pair. They were really cute with a bright pink N on the side. But then I noticed the ribbon. Sure enough, on the inside, was the name "Susan G Komen". Great. I started to try them on anyway - I mean, I do need shoes. But I was so disgusted I could not even untie them. Guess the shoes will have to wait.

I came home and did some research. "Mush for a Cure" was awarded its trademark in June, not because they won, but because Komen dropped the suit. It was dropped after a flurry of bad publicity led by one of Mush's key people, so while I don't know for sure why it was dropped, I have a pretty good guess.

As far as I can find out, Komen is still filing lawsuits. Worse, they have "people on the street" speaking out saying why they think it's a great idea.

They can still burn, as far as I am concerned, and I would starve before I would buy a yogurt with a ribbon on the label.


***note: I am not against fund-raising during this month. I am not criticizing Komen for doing so. I criticize Komen just for being Komen. Just so you know. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment