Monday, August 13, 2012

I Used to Love Pink

The other day I suddenly noticed that the background on this blog was pink. It was just pink bricks with vines, really cute and nothing to do with breast cancer, but I felt I needed to change it right away. So I did.

Until then I hadn't really realized how much I have grown to detest pink. My Girl Scout troop's T-shirts are pink, and as much as I love the design I have been choosing a different one so much that the pink one has worked itself to the bottom of  my drawer. I have another generic pink shirt that I recently decided I wasn't wearing too much (without asking why) and put it in my pajama drawer as a sleep shirt instead.

I was planning some fund-raisers recently for the band and was looking at sports team cups. They sell NFL, MLB and college team cups. Oh, and you can also get the NFL cups in "pink for breast cancer" (doesn't ANYONE ever notice how STUPID that sounds??). Huh.

I commented that I thought that was silly, and ended with "I am sick of pink". The person wondered why. I didn't even bother to try to explain, because for one thing my brain doesn't give me the right words anymore, and for another there is apparently just no speaking against the Big Pink Machine.

I will probably never buy anything pink again. It's not that I don't like it anymore. It's more that it will look like I bought "pink for breast cancer". And these days, that's a fairly decent assumption for anyone to make.

1 comment:

  1. They call it "Pink washed" Midnight. Personally I was a rosey/pink person BC. So I can overlook it. But I detest those dern pink ribbons they slap on everything from foot cream to KFC buckets. Frankly I have no respect for SGKomen anyway, so the whole thing bugs me. I support the Amercan Cancer Society and they promote ALL the ribbons. :) I feel better about that.

    ReplyDelete